Friday, October 27, 2006

GNER puffs away

UK train operator GNER has today issued a press release triumphantly saying it has completed the installation of wireless broadband services on all its trains “seven months ahead of schedule”.

Well done.

But actually this is what they said in early September, when we first mentioned it on the blog.

A glossy brochure had arrived in the office one day saying all trains will be fitted with wireless system within a few weeks.

By our calculation that would mean mid-October. [Perhaps, after all, they are actually 10 days behind schedule!]

The dilemma still remains: pay an extra £30-odd for a first class ticket between London and Edinburgh and get free broadband access, hot drinks and nibbles – or pay a sizeable fee for an hourly or two-hourly hook-up.

Kevin May, editor, Travolution

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any idea on the cost for 1 or 2 hourly net access on GNER? I tried to look on the site but you have to register to make a booking or enquiry (which annoys the hell outta me!)

Travolution Blogger said...

£4.95/1hour

£7.95/2hours

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kev.

I don't think they are bad prices, I was charged £1.00 for 10 minutes in the Travelodge the other week!

I'll let you know how I get on on my trip down to London on the WiFi!