Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Slacker alert!

PING! Truly shocking news from the inbox: some businesses are expecting their employees to work as normal when they are travelling on business.

So says iBAHN, ‘the worldwide leading provider of secure wired and wireless broadband services for hoteliers and meeting organizers.’

Men over the age of fifty feel under the most pressure to put in a full day’s work when on the road, while 18-29-year-olds have the most relaxed approach. This could be a Generation Y dynamic, although my money is on the fact that men over 50 are likely to have a more senior position than the young’uns so feel more work pressure generally.

But then we don’t know anything about where iBAHN’s “findings” come from. Call me a pedant, but I like my consumer-facing research served with a healthy portion of sample size and methodology.

I’ve never worked in PR but I can see where this release is headed – iBAHN bigging up its own product which allows you to work "in the relaxed and stress free surroundings of a hotel room, lobby or bar".

If I did work in PR at least I’d be getting a good night’s sleep. Travelodge has some research of its own today – sample size 4000 – which says that people in PR and marketing are getting 7 hours and 7 minutes sleep per night, second-only to those perennial slackers in the ‘media and creative’ industries who have an extra five minutes in bed.

Excellent news – time for my mid-morning nap.

Martin Cowen, chief writer, Travolution

No comments: